29 – 30 AUGUST 2018
The Faculty of Theology at Stellenbosch University, the Regional Office for Southern Africa of the Rosa Luxemburg Foundation (RLF), and the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) Regional Representation for Southern Africa, have the honour to invite you to a jointly organised conference on
The Role of Faith Based Organizations in the Southern African Region for the Protection of Stateless Persons and the Prevention of Statelessness
Thousands of displaced communities live amongst us. The question is how should we as faith communities attend to the challenge of refugees, forcibly displaced communities and stateless people.
With this conference we aim to
– Raise awareness on statelessness, its causes and consequences, and its particular impact on women and children,
– Explore and enhance the contribution of faith based organization,
– Discuss recent policy and doctrinal developments on nationality and statelessness,
– Promote academic research on statelessness, and
– Facilitate the formulation of joint policy advocacy strategies addressing statelessness.
Registration is free for students. For all other participants there is a fee of R100 which can be paid upon registration. Unfortunately, the organisers will not be able to provide stipends to participants for travelling expenses and accommodation. Please find the tentative programme attached, along with information about accommodation.
We kindly invite you to please confirm your attendance by e-mail to Helette van der Westhuizen, firstname.lastname@example.org or by telephone 021 808 9560 before 24 August 2018.
As Faith Communities we are compelled to attend to this issue – we look very much forward to seeing you at the conference.
Download the programme – click here.
Prof Mary-Anne Plaatjies-Van Huffel
Discipline Group Systematic Theology and Ecclesiology
Faculty of Theology, Stellenbosch University